Can I become a Parish/Town Councillor?

You can make a difference by working with your Parish and Town Councils, either by becoming a Councillor or by just working close together.Can I become a Parish Town Councillor


Then work in tandem
with your local Parish Council

  • Do you want to get things done in your local community?
  • Are you worried about how cutbacks might affect your local services?
  • Would you like to take a more active role within your community?


For more information contact
Herefordshire Association of Local Councils
Telephone: 01432 353492


This project was part funded by the European Union (EAFRD) and Defra
through the VITAL Herefordshire LEADER Programme

A person is qualified to become a parish or town councillor if:

He or she is a Commonwealth Citizen (which includes a British subject), or a citizen of a member state of the European Union and on the day he/she is nominated as a candidate for election, is over 18 and an elector.

In addition:
He or she will be qualified if,  during the whole of the 12 months preceding his or her nomination day, or the day of the election:

he or she  – has either resided in the parish or town, or within 3 miles of it.

or        – has had his/her principal place of work in the parish or town.

or        – has occupied as owner or tenant any land  or premises within the parish or town

A person may not become a parish or town councillor if:

They hold a paid office or other place of profit in the gift of the Council.
They have been declared bankrupt in the past five years and have not repaid their debts.
They have been convicted of a criminal offence and sentenced to not less than 3 months imprisonment (including any suspended sentence) within the past 5 years.
If you are interested in becoming a parish councillor, you can:

Contact your Parish Council and express your interest. To find the contact details for your parish council, click on our Maps section (under FAQ) and click on your location on the interactive map.

Contact HALC via our Information Line – 01432 353492 – if you would like any further information or want help with contacting your parish council.

Keep an eye on your local notice-boards, village and parish council newsletters or websites, for any notification of parish councillor vacancies.